Wednesday, October 3, 2012

West Side Market


When Jacob visited for my birthday weekend the weather was perfect for a Saturday on the town. We went to the West Side Market armed with his fancy new camera. The mission: to find ingredients for dinner, specifically lamb shanks.


This little piggy went to market...

...and so did a lot of other pigs.

I love that the meat vendors there usually just sell one kind of animal but in every cut imaginable. Not only can you find unusual cuts you can't find in the grocery store, but it gives the impression of efficiency and specialization. All-pork, lamb and goat, all-poultry, and all-beef vendors means less waste and higher quality (hopefully).



I was having a lot of fun with this camera. Can you tell? Buy a bunny for your honey!


The market is celebrating it's 100th anniversary any day now. From an architectural standpoint I think it may be my favorite building in Cleveland. I love the clock tower and the huge windows at the front and back reminiscent of some imaginary train station. Contrary to what I used to think, this building never served any other purpose than holding the market. The market is actually older than the building it's in.

Photo credit: Jacob Wade

After buying all our ingredients and drooling over all the food, Jacob and I went to the Great Lakes Brewery to have lunch and a beer flight. This was a lot of beer for two people...but totally worth it and a lot of fun. There's nothing finer than sitting outside on a gorgeous day, sipping a beverage (or several) in good company. I'll be remembering this day for a long time.

Photo credit: Jacob Wade

When we got home, it was time to cook! Jacob helped me with all the prep work. He's getting to be a mighty fine chopper. This was a gourmet meal if there ever was one. See the recipe for braised lamb shanks with chanterelle-sausage crust and mashed brussels sprouts from Chef Brittany Baldwin in Portland.

No comments: