Saturday, September 1, 2012

Last of the Summer Peaches


One of the perks of going home to Virginia for the summer is the big, juicy, sun-fed, Sounthern peaches. Virginia is no Georgia, so I can only imagine how good those taste, but it's closer than, say, Ohio. When I lived in Chicago, the closest peaches came from Michigan, which are small and flavorless in comparison.

We let the peaches ripen for another week after buying them. When the skin starts to shrivel, that indicates that there is less water in the fruit than when it was picked, meaning maximum sweetness and concentrated flavor. Anyone who has ever tried to eat a ripe pear knows that fruit is often the best just before it goes bad.

My aunt is famous for her baked goods (something I didn't really inherit) and every summer she buys bushels of peaches to make pies. For the most part, I prefer my fruit unadulterated. This peach tart recipe is a nice compromise because it's simple (and lends itself well for my impatience with baking).


Ingredients:
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
2-3 peaches, sliced
2 Tbsp sugar

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Using a knife, score a 1-inch square border around the puff pastry (don't cut all the way through).

Arrange the peaches within the square and sprinkle entire area with the sugar.

Bake until pastry is golden brown.


Yes, that's bacon. No, I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments: