Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My First Risotto



I've always been a pasta girl. Given the choice between pasta and risotto on a menu, I'll choose pasta every time. But I've had a recipe saved up for a day when I absolutely couldn't eat any more pasta. That day finally came and the rich creamy bowl of starch did not disappoint.

Images of Chef Gordon Ramsay reaming out the contestants on Hell's Kitchen for burnt or crunchy risotto made me nervous to make this on my own, but it ended up turning out ok! I was most afraid of running out of chicken stock, as I wasn't sure I had enough in the first place and it was evaporating away on the stove as I chopped the other ingredients.

My advice: memorize the instructions before you start. You don't want to be wondering what to do next as your arm is falling off from stirring for 20 minutes straight. Luckily the art of the perfect risotto is really a universal technique which is not dependent on the other ingredients or flavors. Williams-sonoma has a handy guide on their website.



Above you can see my new kitchen, and its very limited counter space. The stove is mini, about half the width of a normal stove, and perfect for dinners for one. Featured above are my two newest additions to my kitchen, both from anthropologie: the hand-made ceramic utensil jar, and quilted pot-holder.

Click here to view Porcini, Caramelized onion, and Sage Risotto Recipe!

With a dish like risotto that takes so much attention, I decided to make a side that didn't take much attention at all: roasted beets!



I made them the traditional way, roasted in the skins with a little olive oil and salt in a tin foil pouch. Roast at 375 degrees, for about 30-60 minutes or until tender. Maybe my oven is a little weak, and that's why it took so long. Let them cool and remove the skins. Re-season if necessary.

No comments: