Monday, September 26, 2011

Musical Aphorisms


I stayed up late last night working on an annotated bibliography for a research project I'm working on. The topic is Schumann's Three Romances, op 94. As I was flipping through the dusty library books I came across a collection of Robert Schumann's aphorisms for young musicians. It's interesting that these were written more than 150 years ago and still ring true. Schumann was a smart guy, if not a little crazy. Though, I think his craziness just added to his insight. There is also some element of truth in them for non-musicians.

"If you have finished your daily musical work and feel tired, do not force yourself to labor further. It is better to rest than to practice without joy or freshness."

"Seek out among your comrades those who know more than you do."

"Rest from your musical studies by industriously reading the poets. Often take exercise out in the open."

"All which is fashionable again becomes unfashionable; and should you cultivate fashion until you become old, you will be come a dandy no one respects."

"Behind the mountains there also dwell people. Be modest. You have never invented or discovered anything that others have not invented or discovered before you. And even if you have, consider it a gift from above which is your duty to share with others."

"Never miss an opportunity of hearing a good opera."

"The laws of morality are also those of art."

"Nothing worth while can be accomplished in art without enthusiasm."

"Art was not created as a way to riches. Strive to become a true artist; all else will take care of itself."

"There is no end to learning."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love all of these. Thanks for sharing your finds. :) Also, I heard you're at CIM studying with Jeff Rathbun--I hope you like him as much as I did. I love his joyful spirit when it comes to making music. Also, I'm not sure if she's still at CIM this year, but make use of Betty Camus if you can! She's feisty, but priceless.

Mary Riddell said...

Hey Stacey! I am loving CIM so far. I didn't know you studied with Mr. Rathbun! Ms. Camus is my chamber coach and she has been great so far. I remember loving your playing at NU, so I am glad that Mr. Rathbun had something to do with it! (90% you of course)